VBA-M is a fork of the inactive VisualBoy Advance project. It improves the capabilities and features of the emulator.
VisualBoy Advance is a free emulator of the GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance Handheld game, Super GameBoy, and Super GameBoy 2.
The “Forgotten” had started the VisualBoy Advance project. This project was handed over to a team which is introduced as “VBA Team”, and the Forgotten’s brothers led this team. In 2004, the development of the original VisualBoy Advance (1.8.0 beta 3 versions) was stooped. Then some forked versions were made in the years since by the help of various developers such as VisualBoy Advance-M.
VBA-M is a little emulator, and we can easily playing GBA ROM files without facing any problem. The VBA-M is very easy in their setup process, and it has 32-bit or 64-bit portable EXE files.
VBA-M includes the OpenGL, improved audio sample rate, and direct sound features. VBA-M is speeding up emulation by only pressing the “Space” tab by default.
VBA-M emulator allows us to play all the games from Nintendo’s famous GameBoy devices practically. It also allows audio and video recording from inside the tool.
The games we will able to play on VBA-M such as Metroid, Resident Evil, Pokémon, Zelda, Castlevania, Super Mario, and Final Fantasy, etc.
For windows, the VisualBoy Advance m is the best portable gaming emulator. VBA-M merged several of the forks into the single codebase. And the M in VBA-M is standing for the Merge.
- It is compatible with GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance ROMs.
- Joystick support.
- Speed up key.
- Autofire support.
- Screen capture support.
- It has Import or export functionality of native saved games from the other emulators.
- It has full save state support.
- It has super GameBoy and Super GameBoy 2 border and color palette support.
- It has full-screen mode support.
- Graphics filters to enhance display such as 2xSal, Super 2xSal, Super Eagle AdvanceMAME, Motion blur, and Pixelate.
- GUI skinning support.
- It newly added HQ3x/4x pixel filters and GameBoy linking over LAN and the internet.
- GameBoy Printer emulator.
- Real-time IPS patching.
- It also allows recording the audio and video, which is only supported by VisualBoyAdvance and its versions.
- It includes hacking and debugging tools like loggers, viewers, and editors.
- It supports the GameShark, GameBoy Advance, and Code Breaker Advance cheat codes.
Critical Security Flaw
VBA-M emulator is not much secure for the execution of the arbitrary codes that allow us to import the cheat codes from files. These cheat codes are not secure in comparison to the buffer overrun security. VBA and VBA-rr execute the arbitrary code, which is available within the file for improving an XPC file.
XPC files are primarily written for the versions such as VBA 1.8.0 and VBA-rr. But still, VBA-M is not secure or protected.
VBA-M on 32-bit and 64-bit PCs
VBA-M is licensed as freeware for the windows, especially 32-bit and 64-bit operating system on a laptop or PCs from console emulators without any restrictions. VisualBoyAdvance M 2.1.4 is freely and easily available for all users.
The compatibility of the VBA-M emulator may vary, but it easily runs under Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista, and XP on wither 32-bit or 64-bit setup.